Click on an attorney above for a detailed bio.
With a bench of attorneys drawn from the top ranks of AmLaw100 firms, Forefront has the expertise and ability to service all of the legal needs of our corporate clients.
Jason D. Gabbard
Accomplished generalist attorney with substantial corporate, real estate and transactional experience. He has advised businesses, financial institutions and individuals across multiple industries, including technology, finance, real estate, fashion, film, music, and theater. Often negotiates M&A arrangements, complicated licensing and co-branding structures, commercial leases and other contracts, and advises on business decisions such as joint ventures, fund-raising, business combinations and exit strategies.
- Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP (New York City)
- Morgan Stanley’s MSREF (London, UK)
- B.A., University of Louisville (summa cum laude). Awarded most outstanding senior thesis for his work on bacterial mutagenisis associated with over exposure to common antibiotics.
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law (Order of the Coif).
- Has lived and worked in several major cities, including New York, London, Buenos Aires and DC.
- Dubious distinction of being only man who has been published in both a fashion self-help book and a bioscience magazine: contributing author to Fashion Designers Survival Guide: An Insider’s Look at Starting and Running Your Own Fashion Business, and to Frontiers in Bioscience (1999).
- Fluent Spanish speaker. Infantile Russian speaker.
Accomplished intellectual property and commercial attorney with substantial patent, trademark, copyright, procurement, and construction law experience.
- Bigelow Patent Law (Newington, CT and Mountaintop, PA)
- Stone & Webster (Charlotte, NC) – Prime Contract Manager, Nuclear Power Plant Construction
- Northeast Utilities (Berlin, CT) – Procurement Counsel, Nuclear Fuel Engineer
- US Navy.
- B.S. Mathematics (Minor Physics), Wilkes College.
- M.S. Nuclear Engineering, Pennsylvania State University
- M.B.A. Pennsylvania State University. Received Walter D. Heller Fellowship
- J.D. University of Connecticut School of Law
- Retired Commander, USNR (Vietnam Veteran)
- Wrote Chronology of First Gulf War for Naval War College
- Edited Korea Chronology, a chronology of events in Korea (1993-2000)
Farzam is a generalist attorney with tax and business operational experience. He has advised countless businesses on complex tax, venture financing, joint ventures, licensing, privacy, employee compensation and other general governance matters. He previously helped establish and operate a fashion e-commerce company, forming various domestic and international manufacturing, licensing and marketing partnerships.
- COO at Edition 01, Inc. (New York City)
- Tax Attorney at Paul Hastings, LLP (New York City)
Education / Licensure
- B.A., Washington University in St. Louis (cum laude).
- J.D., Columbia Law School
- Has lived in Iran, Belgium, San Francisco, St. Louis and New York City.
- He is a fluent Farsi speaker, is obsessed with consumer technology, likes biographies and building things, and strongly prefers long articles to books.
Experienced finance attorney with deep knowledge of private fund formation and regulation, as well as capital raising, securities, banking, mortgage banking and securitized products. Has advised investment advisory firms ranging from start-ups through $10b+ AUM managers, as well as investment banks, brokers-dealers, commercial banks and mortgage banks. Has also worked with LPs on private fund due diligence.
- Coudert Brothers (Attorney)
- Schulte Roth and Zabel (Attorney)
- Solus Alternative Asset Management (General Counsel)
- Drawbridge Partners (Principal)
Will be assisting the American Bar Association develop model documents for fund formation.
Education / Licensure
- State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, N.Y
- B.A., State University of New York at Stony Brook (magna cum laude)
- J.D., Brooklyn Law School (cum laude)
Enjoys reading works of non-fiction.
Corporate transactional attorney with susbtantial experience representing startups and emerging growth companies in connection with formation, financings, mergers and acquisitions, securities offerings, intellectual property protection and registration, contractual matters, employment law, and regulatory compliance. Additional experience advising investors with respect to investments in startups and emerging growth companies and all aspects of deal structuring, negotiation and documentation. Extensive experience counseling investment advisers, hedge funds, private investment funds and other pooled investment vehicles on a broad range of formation, offering and trading issues, including OTC and exchange-traded derivatives and associated SEC and CFTC regulations. Conflict resolution and litigation experience includes actions for breach of software development contacts, advisory contacts, leases and subleases, non-disclosure, disparagement and defamation issues, and a broad range of matters involving current and former employees.
- Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP (New York City)
- Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP (New York City)
Definitely something that doesn’t break the firmly alliterative string of Fs that begins with Fried Frank and continues with Forefront—so maybe something at the Ford Foundation?
Education / Licensure
- B.A., SUNY Stony Brook (magna cum laude)
- J.D., St. John’s University School of Law (magna cum laude)
Founded Definer, a social network that enables anyone (with and iPhone) to coin a new word or phrase or create a custom definition for existing words or phrases (or even emoji). Just like lawyers define terms in transaction documents!
Selected as one of The Next Web’s 50 People in NYC’s Tech Scene that You Need to Know
Adroit corporate generalist with special expertise in labor and employment law, as well as exposure to investment management issues. She has counseled international business on employment issues, governance and transactions in the UK, Switzerland, Brazil, Latin America, China and countries throughout the developing world.
- Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer for Bunge Investment Management, an emissions asset manager inside a global agribusiness.
- Sive Paget & Riesel, a full service environmental law firm.
- New York City Comptroller’s Office.
Education / Licensure
- BA with Honors, University of Virginia, in French and Foreign Affairs.
- J.D., University of Chicago.
- Speaks and writes French fluently and can conduct business in Spanish, Italian and Portuguese.
- Fought the Mayor on bond issuances and used the City Comptroller’s powers to improve protection of New York City’s drinking water supply, as well development of Hudson River Park and the High Line.
Donald R. Carlson
Attorney and business executive with deep experience in conflict management, negotiation, and the panoply of legal and strategic issues faced by growth stage companies. Don has run divisions (Axiom), functions (Goldman Sachs, CEB), and companies (Business Intelligence Advisors, Matterhorn Data). He has passion for innovation, problem solving, building and selling companies, and delving deeply into strategy with Forefront clients. Don serves as a director, advisor, and involved angel investor for a half dozen companies including several Forefront clients.
- Goldman Sachs & Co., chief knowledge officer for IBD, chief of staff for General Counsel (New York City)
- Axiom Legal, head of financial services practice (New York City)
- Corporate Executive Board, head of new business development (Washington, DC)
- Williams & Connolly (Washington, DC)
- Williams College, chair of program in political economy (Williamstown, MA)
- Hon. Joseph P. Kennedy II, US House of Representatives, legislative director (Washington, DC)
- Hon. Bruce M. Selya, First Circuit Court of Appeals, law clerk (Providence, RI)
Eccentric but much beloved pre-law professor at small liberal arts university in the Berkshires; active angel investor in renewable energy companies.
- B.A., Williams College (magna cum laude). Tyng Scholar, highest honors for thesis in political economy
- J.D., Harvard Law School (magna cum laude). Harvard Negotiation Project, Teaching Fellow in Economics (“Markets & Morals”).
- Taught “The Literature of Social Reflection” with Pulitzer Prize winning, civil rights paragon Professor Robert Coles at Harvard.
- Published obscure but influential “Cartel on Campus” in the Oregon Law Review — 90 pages of calculus and law on the Reagan era prosecution of universities for price fixing in financial aid awards cited by the Third Circuit in its final disposition of the case.
- Disciple of Harvard negotiation guru Roger Fisher of Getting to Yes fame.
Tom Chia-Kai Wang
Tom is an accomplished generalist attorney with substantial corporate, transactional and litigation experience. With regard to his corporate and transactional background, Tom has advised businesses, financial institutions and individuals across multiple industries, including technology, finance, real estate, fashion, film, and music. For his clients, he often negotiates M&A arrangements, complicated licensing agreements, commercial leases and other contracts, and advises on big-picture business decisions such as joint ventures, fund-raising, business combinations and exit strategies.
For litigation, Tom has been actively engaged in civil matters involving securities, derivative products, and other complex financial instruments. He has handled cases involving a broad spectrum of substantive legal issues, including antitrust, breach of fiduciary duty, reinsurance, fraud, piercing the corporate veil, mergers and acquisitions, as well as federal securities law. With experience in all aspects of commercial litigation, including sophisticated fact and expert discovery, he has had a prominent role in a number of complex trials and arbitrations.
- Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe (Los Angeles)
- Cadwalader Wickersham & Taft (New York)
- Pillsbury Madison Shaw Pittman (Washington, D.C.)
Owning and operating a B&B on the shores of Koh Samui.
- B.A., University of South Carolina (magna cum laude, phi beta kappa)
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law
- Tom has never lost in a game of checkers.
- Tom has lived in Taipei, Boston, London, New York and Los Angeles.
Matthew advises and represents companies and individuals in a variety of matters, including business formations, venture financings, employment and executive compensation, IP and licensing, commercial contracts, and data protection and privacy. Previously, Matthew was General Counsel at Fashion GPS, an international business-to-business SaaS company providing technology services to the fashion industry. Matthew began his career at the firm of Skadden, Arps LLP.
- General Counsel at Fashion GPS (now LaunchMetrics)
- Attorney at Skadden, Arps LLP
Education / Licensure
- BA, Double Major: Western Civilization Studies & Communication Studies, Concordia University (Montreal, QC)
- J.D., University of Toronto Faculty of Law
- Member of the New York Bar since 2009
- He has lived in Tokyo, Japan teaching English
- He has has lived in Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto and New York City
- Recovering performance poetry enthusiast
- Matthew is hugely excited about New York’s tech scene and frequently participates in industry-related events to bring his legal perspective to the mix.